Monday, January 12, 2009

Why I normally don't listen to game music.

So, I'm a game designer, right?  I guess.  Well, maybe not officially.  I mean I've been paid to do a game before, and I've had ideas, so lets just say I'm a game designer.

At least, I'm a game afficianado.  I like games.  I like random games, small games, tripple A games, games with and without meaning, and games with and without strong subject matter.  And while i regularly enjoy games, their artwork, presentation, sounds, etc, I rarely, if ever, listen to game soundtracks.

I almost think its immature.  Not to say that music from games isn't real music, it just doesn't have as much of a message to me as the music I like to listen to.  Here's a quick list of things I listen to, just to give an Idea as to what I like:


So i guess this stuff is "Vocal Heavy", and that might be part of it.  Theres a huge lack of vocals in game music, and I love memorizing the words to songs, and singing along (I always play vocals in rockband, everything from Disturbed to No Doubt.)  None the less, I am cappable of admitting that there is good game music out there.

Just recently I started listening to the galaxy man theme a ton, the menu song from Street Fight II HD Turbo Remix is wicked good, but I don't listen to these songs.  Not casually, not at parties, not on the bus or anything.  At most if im in the mood at random in my room, I'll boot up a game to hear the song, but its normally because i have the sensation to play it as well.  I hardly find the need to just hear the song and nothing else.

The worst part is that I do feel higher and mightier then though about it.  Almost as if "I listen to real music, and you can't escape the realm of games", and trust me when I say that I RECOGNIZE THIS IS A TERRIBLE THOUGHT.  But I think it, and I poke its validity.  Is there a difference between the signed artists and the songs played in a games sound track?  Game musicians work HARD, daily, to create masterpieces.  Kingdom hearts made me cry, I can rock out to Sephiroth's theme, but I can't put on my headphones and relax into the music of these artist.  I know nobu's music when i hear it, I plan on (if i can) going to video games live, but I always feel a strange statisfaction of knowing about a song before it hits guitar hero or rockand, and another sense of loss when I find out about a band through the same medium.  Almost like I don't deserve to know about the band's exsistence to begin with since I didn't know about it before the game.

Its a wierd thing I've had to pull my hair out about, and I still try and think about what it means to me and why I keep thinking it. I've tried changing my point of view, opening up, but something about me just keeps thinking that you shouldn't listen to video game music outside of the game.  I just don't know WHY!

No comments:

Post a Comment